Live Nation has settled a negligence lawsuit brought by a concertgoer who says he suffered a traumatic brain injury during a Luke Bryan show at a US amphitheater the company operates.
Gary Stanhope and Live Nation Worldwide, Inc. filed a stipulation of dismissal in the US District Court for the District of Connecticut on Tuesday (August 11).
The filing, which you can read here, dismisses Stanhope‘s complaint with prejudice and states that each party will “bear their own attorneys’ fees and costs.”
Terms of the settlement do not appear in the filing, and the dismissal carries no finding of liability against Live Nation.
Stanhope sued in 2024 over injuries he says he sustained at Bryan‘s July 30, 2022, performance at Xfinity Theatre in Hartford, Connecticut.
The amphitheater was renamed The Meadows Music Theatre ahead of the 2026 season.
The concert was part of Bryan‘s Raised Up Right Tour, which Live Nation promoted.
Stanhope says he was attacked after stepping into an altercation between a man and a woman near a part of the amphitheater known as “the rail.”
On the court’s account of the evidence, one witness put the confrontation at two to three minutes with no security anywhere in sight. Stanhope was then struck and knocked to the concrete.
His complaint alleged that Live Nation had failed to provide adequate security and crowd management, and that the company “knew that fights regularly broke out at this music venue.”
Stanhope‘s attorneys at Brown Paindiris & Scott, LLP say the head injury left lasting effects on his cognitive function and a long absence from work.
Live Nation disputed that account of the night.
The company hired 116 security personnel for the show and retained 16 uniformed Hartford Police Department officers, court records show, with fans screened on their way through the gates.
Live Nation said its staffing exceeded a National Fire Protection Association standard of one crowd manager for every 250 patrons.
The company also argued that Stanhope‘s injuries stemmed from the criminal act of a third party and described the assault as “instantaneous and unforeseeable.”
It further noted that Stanhope had been drinking before and during the concert and could not remember much of what happened to him.
In May, Senior US District Judge Janet C. Hall denied Live Nation‘s motion for summary judgment, sending the negligence claim toward a jury.
“Mr. Stanhope and various witnesses assert that there was a rowdy crowd, a lack of security enforcement, a prolonged fight, and a delayed response from the EMT once Mr. Stanhope was assaulted,” wrote Hall.
“A reasonable juror could find that it was foreseeable that Mr. Stanhope would be injured under these circumstances,” Hall added.
Hall also declined to treat the number of guards hired as settling the question, focusing instead on how security responded once the fight was already underway in front of staff.
The settlement means no jury will now rule on whether Live Nation was responsible for Stanhope‘s injuries.
The parties reached a settlement at a hearing in July, according to court records.
The dismissal was filed under Rule 41(a)(1)(A)(ii) of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, which allows both sides to end a case by agreement.
Stanhope was represented by Bruce E. Newman of Brown Paindiris & Scott, LLP, with John C. Pitblado of Carlton Fields signing for Live Nation.
The settlement takes a trial off Live Nation‘s calendar at a point when the company is contesting a much larger legal defeat.
In April, a federal jury in Manhattan found that Live Nation and Ticketmaster had illegally monopolized the US ticketing and large-amphitheater markets.
Across 22 states, the jury put the consumer overcharge at USD $1.72 per ticket for primary concert tickets at major concert venues.
Live Nation is seeking to overturn that verdict or win a new trial, while a coalition of 33 states and the District of Columbia presses for a divestiture of Ticketmaster.
The court heard arguments on Live Nation‘s motions on July 31 and has yet to rule.
Injury litigation has reached the promoter before, most visibly after the 2021 Astroworld crowd surge in Houston, which produced a wave of claims against Live Nation and Travis Scott.
Live Nation reported revenue of USD $7.7 billion in Q2 2026, up 9% YoY, with 49 million fans attending its concerts in the quarter.
Bryan was not a defendant in the Connecticut case and was not accused of wrongdoing.
MBW has approached Live Nation and Stanhope’s counsel for comment.Music Business Worldwide




